Below is a list of books that myself and colleagues have found insightful for a variety of themes.
These are subjects particular to my practice, but aren’t all encompassing.
Mood, Mindfulness, Self-Judgment
- The Mindful Way through Depression, Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness; Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal, Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Going To Pieces Without Falling Apart: A Buddhist Perspective On Wholeness; Mark Epstein
- Radical Acceptance: Embracing your Life with the Heart of a Buddha; Tara Brach
- Soul without Shame: A Guide to Liberating Yourself from the Judge Within; Byron Brown
- There is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate; Sherry Huber
- Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy Revised and Updated; David Burnes
Science, Psychology, Mindfulness
- My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey; Jill Bolte Taylor
- Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation; Daniel J. Siegel, M.D.
- The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-Being; Daniel J. Siegel, M.D.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer
- Exile and Pride: Disability, Queerness and Liberation; Eli Clare
- Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World; Robyn Ochs
- Stone Butch Blues; Leslie Feinberg
- The Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation, and Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women and the Rest of Us; Kate Bornstein
- Lesbian Parenting: Living with Pride and Prejudice; Katherine Arnup
Relationships & Communication
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love; Sue Johnson
- Mating in Captivity; Esther Perel
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life; Marshall Rosenberg
- Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships; Tristan Taormino
- Passionate Marriage: Keeping Love and Intimacy Alive in Committed Relationships; David Schnarch
- Free Play: Improvisation in Life and Art; Stephen Nachmanovitch
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within; Natalie Goldberg
- The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity; Julia Cameron